Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Thousand Acres


As I start to get more into Jane Smiley's novel, A Thousand Acres, I can see how similar the book is to Shakespear's play, King Lear. I give Smiley great credit for coming up with a story line that is parallel to King Lear, but also making it her own. She introduces the main characters of the novel by opening the book with a plan that will make them a lot of money during the harvesting season. I feel that the way Jane Smiley went about telling this story was very smart and creative. The narrator, Ginny, expresses her feelings along with the rest of the family about this certain operation that is planned. She is able to express her negative feelings about the topic, while still able to explain how everyone else is feeling. Also, I think it's genius the way Smiley was able to make Caroline parallel to Cordelia (the only honest daughter of King Lear who wouldn't agree to tell him how much she loves him) in a modern way. I look forward to starting the second book for my project this weekend, Barn Blind, which has more to do with show horses.

No comments: