Friday, February 12, 2010

Starting New


Starting a new job can be a difficult task. I know when I walked into Oradell Animal Hospital I was going to have a great learning experience as well as get paid. The girl who trained me was very friendly, but the other ward aids around my age seemed aloof. I introduced myself to them and tried to be friendly, but it just didn’t seem to work. She told me it took her time in order to become apart of the hospital and that everyone is friendly once you start talking to them. I took her advice considering I did not want to be the cryptic new girl. Within the next week most doctors talked to me with great zest. Asking them questions about where they went to veterinary school started great conversations.

While training with Emily, I asked her what the most difficult part of our job was. She responded, “You have to act stoic when owners come into the back to say good bye to their pets.” I completely understood where she was coming from. We have to act professional.

Learning the tasks of a ward aid at first seemed overwhelming. We have to keep up with laundry and cleaning of the rooms, but yet walk and feed the animals. When I first started I felt I completed the tasks maladroitly and slowly. After working for almost five months now, my tasks are finished before my four-hour shift is over. This makes time for me to converse with the doctors, interns, and other ward aids.

No comments: